- Hide Focus Areas –
- Show Focus Areas +
Handling Complex Insurance Coverage Issues
Sanders & Parks is one of Arizona’s leading law firms representing insurance companies in a wide range of disputes, including insurance coverage litigation, bad faith litigation, and contribution claims against other noncontributing insurers. Beyond litigation, our lawyers routinely prepare written opinions regarding coverage issues under all types of insurance policies and provide advice on insurance issues.
Since 1973, we have advised insurers regarding the duty to defend and the duty to indemnify in the context of bodily injury and property damage, construction defect, product liability, employment practices liability, and business and environmental torts. Sanders & Parks also has extensive experience in the areas of primary-excess relationships, drop-down provisions, reservation of rights letters, and Damron/Morris agreements. Over the years, we have authored thousands of coverage opinions for insurance companies. Arizona is a unique jurisdiction because it allows settlement and stipulated judgments between insureds and plaintiffs in civil litigation when there has been a denial of coverage or reservation of rights. Sanders & Parks specializes in all aspects of these agreements, called Damron/Morris agreements. Our firm has successfully litigated countless cases including these agreements and provided in-house training to insurers who provide Arizona consumers with insurance. Our attorneys are also experts in leveraging these agreements to resolve disputes between insurers providing different layers of insurance on high-exposure cases.
Sanders & Parks is often retained to provide thoughtful coverage advice and to solve problems before they occur. However, in some cases, litigation simply cannot be avoided. In those circumstances, Sanders & Parks stands ready to represent its clients in court and actively litigate complex coverage issues. Our lawyers have extensive trial and appellate experience representing both insurers and insureds. Through representation of insurers in litigation, Sanders & Parks has been at the forefront of shaping additional insured (“AI”) insurance law.
Our insurance coverage lawyers are thoroughly committed to the quality practice of law and recognize that providing effective representation means going “above and beyond.” Accordingly, we hold leadership positions and are members of professional organizations, including the Defense Research Institute, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (“CLM”) and the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel. Our lawyers present at seminars, conferences, and training sessions on insurance coverage and insurance litigation. We have also authored books and articles on insurance coverage issues, have served as insurance law instructors, and provided training to our insurance clients.
Our coverage expertise extends to a full spectrum of commercial and personal lines policies, reinsurance contracts, and other structures for managing risks, including:
- Commercial general liability (primary and excess) and surplus lines policies
- Personal and commercial automobile, trucking, aircraft, and equipment policies
- Professional liability policies covering various professionals, including directors & officers, architects & engineers, agents & brokers, health care institutions and health care professionals, managed care organizations, attorneys, and accountants
- Homeowners’ and renters’ policies
- Governmental, school district, and public entity policies
- First party property policies, including all-risk, boiler and machinery, business interruption, and combination policies
- Workers’ compensation and employers’ liability policies
- Employment practices and employee benefits policies
- Life, health, accident/sickness and disability policies
- Specialty policies and coverage specific to particular industries, occupations, and risks, including builder’s risk, wrap-up, and trade organizations
- Self-insurance, captive policies, and risk retention groups
Garrick L. Gallagher
John C. Quinn
J. Steven Sparks
J. Adam Tate
Mark G. Worischeck
Contact a Phoenix, Arizona lawyer serving the cities of Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tucson, Flagstaff, Prescott and all cities in Arizona.